Sunday, November 11, 2012

Peaches and Basil - in a cupcake?? Hell yes…

In anticipation of these cupcakes, I bought a package of vegan cream cheese.  Once my husband saw it in the fridge, he started talking about homemade jalapeno poppers, and I knew I had to move fast!  So I didn’t waste any time making Peach Pie Cupcakes w/ Basil Cream Cheese Frosting.

First, I sliced up some sad looking peaches in my fridge that were begging to be rescued from their current state of deterioration.  This part was for the filling.  I put them in a saucepan over medium heat w/ a little water and some agave syrup and heated until they were nice and soft.  Then I pureed them and set them aside.  Really for the filling I wanted a peach-compote type of thing, but like I said, rush, rush rush!  So I rough-chopped them to get them in the pan, and then once they were cooked, I was really only left w/ one option.  It actually worked very nicely once inside the cupcake though…
Next - I made the standard vanilla cupcake again from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World.  Its always a winner.  I promise I will start experimenting with my own cupcake recipes soon!
Last - I made the frosting… I started with 1/4 cup cream cheese and 1/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening, then sifted in 2-3 cups confectioner’s sugar (I always go 1 cup at a time and then taste for sweetness) and added 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.  Then it was time to add the basil… I took some frosting, put it in my blender with 5-7 basil leaves, and… nothing!  It just whirred around and nothing happened.  I was not prepared for this, and I really didn’t have any ideas for how else to get this basil in my frosting!  So I just chopped it up a little smaller than chiffonade and threw it right in.  It worked pretty well - when I first tasted it, the texture of the basil in the frosting was a little weird.  But by the next day it had softened enough that I didn’t even notice it - but the flavor was awesome!  I probably ended up adding about 10-15 basil leaves and it tasted amazing!
Then I filled the cupcakes with my peach puree, and topped with the basil frosting - YUM!  Gourmet cupcake goodness at its best.  I shared it with my trusty tasters (ie: husband, Mom) and it was agreed!  A vegan delight!

Are you drooling yet??



I used up all the frosting!  Ok… I might have squirted some into my mouth right out of the piping bag… don’t judge me!  The professionals do it all the time…

No comments:

Post a Comment