Friday, September 6, 2013

Rosh Hashanah Redemption Cupcakes

Last year, when Rosh Hashanah came around, I wanted to do something special involving cupcakes, apples, and vegan honey (aka agave syrup).  No brainer, right?  Who doesn't like themes?  Or excuses to make cupcakes?  But, the execution left a little to be desired.  I tried to bake cupcakes while also cooking a Jewish New Year feast and didn't really have time to do exactly what I wanted.  Also, my basic idea didn't have the adventurous spirit that's so important for cupcake baking.  What was I thinking??  Needless to say, I definitely had something to prove when Rosh Hashanah came around this year.  No doubt I got it right this time - delicious apple, mouth-watering spices, topped off with cinnamon frosting.  Redemption achieved.



Apple Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Frosting

 

For the cupcakes:

3/4 cup soymilk (I use vanilla)
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1 Tbsp blackstrap molasses
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 and 1/4 cups all purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp nutmeg
pinch cardamom
1 apple, grated (about 1 cup)

Preheat the oven to 350°.  Line a 12-cup muffin tin with cupcake liners.  
In a small bowl, whisk together the soy milk and vinegar until frothy and set aside.  In the meantime, gather your ingredients.  In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar, molasses and vanilla.  Add the soymilk and mix well.  Sift in all the dry ingredients and mix until just moistened.  Add in the apple and mix until everything is well combined.  Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way full, or almost to the top and bake 18-20 minutes until slightly golden on the edges.  Cool for 5 minutes in their tins and then move to a cooling rack to cool completely.  




For the frosting:

3/4 cup non-hydrogenated shortening
2 - 3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 - 3 Tbsp soy milk (again, vanilla)
2 and 1/2 tsp cinnamon

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the shortening so its not a clump like what came out of your measuring cup.  Sift in the sugar, tasting for sweetness.  Add soy milk if the frosting gets too thick.  Add in the vanilla and sift in the cinnamon, mix until all well combined and the frosting is nice and fluffy and delicious.  Top the cupcakes.  Get excited!



To garnish:

1 apple, sliced
1 tsp lemon juice
2 tsp brown sugar

Mix the apple with the lemon juice and let sit for a few minutes.  Pour off any extra lemon juice, add in the brown sugar and mix to coat.  Let sit another few minutes, then top each cupcake with a yummy apple slice.  

Smile - these cupcakes are amazeballs and now you have 12 of your very own!  






8 comments:

  1. Rosh Hashana or not, I would make these in a heartbeat because I LOVE LOVE all things apple. And cinnamon. And cupcake.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cupcakes look and sound delicious. I am attempting to visit all the Vegan MoFo blogs and I am constantly in awe of all the great talent. Good luck. Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and thanks for visiting! I agree! Everyone is so talented, its awesome. Go vegans!

      Delete
  3. Wow! These look amazing -- and I love the idea of sliced apple on top. Very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness those cupcakes look beautiful! I missed the boat on making them for RH but I think they'd be perfect for any occasion this fall :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! The only excuse you need to make these cupcakes is apples in the fridge :)

      Delete